A question from a current XF 2.1 User

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Currently, we do not have a CLI based converter, however we do often import larger communities using our normal converter.

As Stuart said, our primary converter is not CLI but it can handle large sites. It’s more or less click go and then let it churn 🙂 Feel free to contact us if you need any advice.

Knock, Knock, Knock... @Charles @Stuart Just found this. He did realize this ia an Alpha preview.......   Didn't he???

Can't comment on 4.5 as who knows--unreleased software. Yet assuming not much has changed from 4.4, you would want to take a backup of your community and develop a migration plan and strategy in advan

As Stuart said, our primary converter is not CLI but it can handle large sites. It’s more or less click go and then let it churn 🙂

Feel free to contact us if you need any advice.

• Like 1

Ops...

Then if I would like to convert my XF 2.1 Board with this stats:

Threads: 900k
Members: 1.7M

Attachments: 800k

Then it will take a day instead of 1-2 hours only :|.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 1:27 PM, rdn said:

Then it will take a day instead of 1-2 hours only :|.

Can't comment on 4.5 as who knows--unreleased software. Yet assuming not much has changed from 4.4, you would want to take a backup of your community and develop a migration plan and strategy in advance from that backup. The time it will take is highly variable, depending on hardware & database configuration and the content on your existing forum.

Doing this will give you a fairly good estimate of what to expect in terms of timeline, before and after steps, and outcome when you do the real thing, assuming you test with identical hardware and configuration. I will say that converting a very large forum was not so great without an unattended CLI script, as the entire thing is dependent on your internet connection cycling through each step. If the computer you're using to perform the upgrade goes offline, it will presumably pick up where it left off when you reconnect, yet there's no supported way right now to have an unattended script run on a shell prompt. We opted to put a desktop client in our datacenter and run the script via a local machine to prevent this issue. IPB certainly has room for improvement here.

I'd recommend running through your script multiple times, starting off with a fresh backup, and having others help test to see if the outcome is what you expected. Your license allows you to have a test install as long as it's protected by a password (i.e. htaccess). The import is dependent on the settings you make prior to import on both your existing forum and on the new IPB install, so you'll likely want to get things just as you like them and then take a backup of the IPB database just prior to running the import. This way you have a copy you can restore every time you start a test migration.

• Like 1