Invision Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kevin

Disappointed in no changes to UX for cropping profile photos

I'm disappointed that you haven't done anything to improve the UX of cropping a newly uploaded profile photo. Since most sites use circular avatars, the cropper should allow positioning of the photo being cropped in with circular guide if the site uses circular avatars.

See https://foliotek.github.io/Croppie/ for an example of improved UX for cropping uploaded profile photos.

42 minutes ago, JoelR said:

That was't part of any of their release articles, so not sure why you expected it.  

I'm spending an hour or two testing the alpha as a user. I haven't read all of the release articles. I figure it is important for Invision devs to get feedback on the entire UX for 4.4, since this is their opportunity to make the experience better for our users. Only happens once a year!

34 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'm spending an hour or two testing the alpha as a user. I haven't read all of the release articles. I figure it is important for Invision devs to get feedback on the entire UX for 4.4, since this is their opportunity to make the experience better for our users. Only happens once a year!

I don't say this facetiously (really), but if you ONLY had an hour or two, then you should probably dedicate them to reading the release articles.  Once it goes into alpha, they're not likely to be adding any changes.  They're just looking for confirmation and usability of what they've already changed.  

Alphas are where you want all the feedback you can get. There is still time to make the product better. And I value my time and I would hope Invision would like to hear my feedback. 

48 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I figure it is important for Invision devs to get feedback on the entire UX for 4.4 …

Actually,  feature request belong in the Feedback forum of the regular site. Was that ever raised there? I haven’t seen it. 

Personally, I never missed that feature on any site with round avatars nor could I remember a site, which has a circular preview. I’m not against it of course, but I also hardly care about it. 

40 minutes ago, opentype said:

Actually,  feature request belong in the Feedback forum of the regular site. Was that ever raised there? I haven’t seen it. 

Personally, I never missed that feature on any site with round avatars nor could I remember a site, which has a circular preview. I’m not against it of course, but I also hardly care about it. 

Yes. I've posted this before in the Feedback forum. Actually, I've complained about it every 6 months or so (over the years). The circular previews are only one issue with setting your profile photo in the suite. The whole UX is very "last decade" and not very user friendly. I'd really like to see a "profile album" to contain these and other personal photos (perhaps limited to 10 or 20 photos in the ACP) where the user could change their cover photos and current profile photos very easily. That is, you would keep photos in your profile album (that could be marked "public" or "private" by the profile owner) and simply choose from these photos when attaching a cover photo or changing your profile photo. 

When a profile visitor clicks on your cropped profile photo on a profile page, ICS4 could link to the original (in the profile album) for viewing the whole photo. In fact, the profile album should save any cropped version as a new photo in the album (with a link back to the original), so you wouldn't have to re-crop it when setting as your current profile photo (or a cover photo).

I'll keep posting about this issue every 6 months or so until this much neglected, but very important, area of the community is improved dramatically. 

Edited by Kevin

Feel free to link the topic(s) in the feedback forum so we can discuss it there and see what traction it got. 

And a tip: just describe your request and use case. If it’s a plausible request which benefits a significant percentage of the IPS communities, that’s all that is needed. Don’t claim it is “very important”. That makes it questionable and get people like me object, which doesn’t help your case. 😉 

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

When a profile visitor clicks on your cropped profile photo on a profile page, ICS4 could link to the original (in the profile album) for viewing the whole photo

We already do show the original image when you click on the profile photo. It pops up in our standard lightbox.

1 hour ago, Jennifer M said:

We already do show the original image when you click on the profile photo. It pops up in our standard lightbox.

I hadn't noticed this change. It is much appreciated. I'll test this a little more and see if it is perfect.